How do I create an estate plan?

Estate planning involves putting together essential documents that make your wishes, preferences, and intentions known. Depending on your specific needs and goals, you may decide to draft a will, appoint an estate administrator, establish powers of attorneys, set up a trust, or explore other wealth preservation strategies. Get in touch with a knowledgeable estate planning lawyer to discuss the details of your situation. 

When should I begin the estate planning process?

Many people assume that estate planning is only valuable for older individuals, such as retirees. However, younger people, especially young families, can benefit from creating an estate plan. We never know what obstacles or challenges may arise, such as debilitating illness or incapacitation, so it’s essential to prepare for this possibility. We invite you to contact our office today to discuss your estate planning options. 

Why should I put an advance healthcare directive in place?

A critical component of an estate plan is the advance healthcare directive. This document allows you to express your preferences regarding the type and extend of your medical treatment, should you become unable to vocalize your wishes independently. Documenting your preferences now ensures that these wishes will be respected and upheld in the event of your incapacitation. 

Do I need an estate planning lawyer to put a will in place?

Although several books and online forms offer estate planning services, these templates are usually generic and may leave your estate vulnerable to legal woes in the future. Working with a trusted estate planning attorney ensures that you receive the attention and care you need to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your legacy even after you are gone. 

What is Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Also known as liquidation bankruptcy, Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows you to eliminate most types of unsecured debt (i.e., credit card debt, medical bills, etc.). If you’re current on your car and mortgage payments, you will likely be able to keep these assets while receiving a fresh financial start. Reach out to us today to learn more about filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Should I file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows you to reorganize your debt and establish a repayment plan lasting three to five years. During this repayment period, creditors cannot harass you or collect from you. If you qualify for Chapter 13, you may prevent foreclosure, repossession, and other adverse actions while you focus on rebuilding your finances.

When do I need a Civil Rights lawyer?

Federal and state laws afford several protections to individual citizens. If you believe that someone has violated or abused your civil rights, you have the right to fight back. Working with an experienced civil rights attorney can help you understand your options for redressing the violation and ensuring justice prevails. Contact us today to discuss your situation. 

What do I do if I believe my civil rights have been violated?

If you believe you’ve suffered discrimination or adverse consequences because of your race, ethnicity, gender, religion, national origin, gender expression, sexual orientation, or other protected classification, enlist the guidance of a trusted civil rights attorney right away. Together, you can determine the most strategic path forward to recover compensation and hold the perpetrator accountable for these unjust actions. 

What should I do if I'm facing criminal charges in New Jersey?

While it may feel natural to explain your way out of an arrest, it’s always in your best interest to exercise your right to remain silent. Even if you are trying to explain or defend your actions, any statements you make may be used to build a case against you. Instead, remain quiet and contact a skilled criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your legal strategy. 

How long will a conviction stay on my criminal record?

While criminal convictions become part of your permanent record, there are certain circumstances in which you may pursue an expungement request. As long as you meet the specific criteria, you may be able to have the conviction expunged from your record and free yourself from many housing and employment barriers. Learn more about expungement by contacting our office.

If you need help navigating an estate planning or bankruptcy matter in Englewood, call Walter D. Nealy P.C. at (201) 227-0063 today.